Does your business have an IT strategy? If it doesn’t, then it is time to put one in place.
Many years ago, businesses saw the IT department as a cost centre; a part of the company that went out and bought computers, software, or anything in between. Since then the IT team have become an integral part of the business, giving you a competitive advantage over your competitors, and driving growth in your business – but this only comes from having an IT strategy in place.
What is an IT strategy?
An IT strategy is a guiding document for a business’ IT department. The strategy should define the overall goals, the processes that support the plans, and the activity needed to meet them.
The plan will document initiatives that align with the overall business goal. For example, if one of your goals is to open a new office, how can technology help make that happen quicker. Other plans could be:
- Cutting costs
- Leveraging automation
- Increasing sales
- Offering new digital products
When creating a strategy, it is essential to remember that every tactic pursued should be for the business’s greater good and short and long-term goals.
So, what does an IT strategy look like?
Primarily an IT strategy is a written document, but the actual format must work for your business and the people that are going to refer to it. If you are more visual, maybe something like PowerPoint will work better. But no matter what format you prefer, a strategy should include details on the following:
- Where are we today?
- What are the goals and aspirations of the business?
- What does the current technology service portfolio look like?
- What are the challenges we need to overcome?
- Where do we want to be?
- What capabilities and benefits do we want to achieve in the future to support the business?
- What does the future landscape need to look like?
- What are the gaps between now and then?
- How are we going to get there?
- What resources do we need? Do we have a budgeted forecast in place?
- How will the future landscape be operated?
- What partners do we need?
Creating an IT strategy can be quite a daunting task. Still, by having this information written down, you give your business and IT a fighting chance of making the correct technology investments to support the company and its endeavours.
If you need help putting together your first IT strategy, then LMS Group can help. By LMS Group having the knowledge, experience, and resources, we can transform your business using IT and help you thrive in a competitive marketplace.
If you’d like more information about how LMS Group can help, get in touch with us via the contact form below.